Friday, September 19, 2008

Yummy Recipe!

Okay, okay I'll blog already. I guess you could say I'm blog challenged. I never know what to blog about. I'll get the hang of it eventually, I'm sure. But I do have a yummy crockpot recipe to post for all of you that like curry. I happen to be a huge fan of curry dishes, unlike my husband. He did say that he liked this one alright. I love it! I think this is a nice simple dish and it is very tasty. Oh and you can put more or less chicken in if you like. I just used two large frozen boneless chicken breast (Tyson is the best!) and it turned out great. The actual recipe calls for 8 chicken breast halves with bone, skinned. I thought that sounded like a lot of chicken for the amount of curry mixture. I think 3-4 chicken breasts would work the best. Anyway...here goes!

Honey Curry Chicken

1 large onion, halved and sliced (1 cup)
4 chicken breast halves
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup Dijon-style mustard
2 tablespoons butter, melted
1 tablespoon curry powder
2 large red sweet peppers, cut into bite-size strips (2 cups)
4 cups hot cooked white or brown rice

1. Place onion in slow cooker. Place chicken on onion in cooker. Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper. In a small bowl stir together honey, mustard, butter, and curry powder; pour over mixture in cooker. Add sweet pepper to cooker.
2. Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 5 to 6 hours or on high-heat setting for 2 1/2 to 3 hours.
3. Remove chicken and vegetables from cooker. Strain cooking liquid. Serve chicken and vegetables with hot cooked rice. Spoon some of the cooking liquid over top to moisten.


So there you have it curry lovers! It's there for the taking. I like to make this when red peppers are on sale. Hopefully Brad will acquire a taste for curry some day. It does grow on you.

Brad's been busy getting back into the swing of things with school. And he's being sooo helpful at home too. Thanks honey! The other day I got home and he was on his second load of laundry with dinner cooking and almost ready. It was such a nice surprise! I do love fall...the nice weather and getting back into more of a steady routine. So refreshing after a hot summer. It's nice to go outside during my lunch break and enjoy the light breeze and sunshine. The office where I work is right by a nice little park so I take full advantage of that and go for a walk during lunch. It really seems to help me relax, especially with the nice little river flowing right next to the walking path. I sometimes like to just sit and listen to the soothing water. It helps me get a little nature each day, which I think is therapeutic. I'm trying to find little things here and there that are relaxing and calming. Any suggestions? I think the hard part for me is finding the time (or motivation) to do all the little things that I know would be really good for me. But I know I've got to start somewhere. So for now I'll start with enjoying the warmth of the sunshine and the light breeze and the sound of running water. That's a good place to start. One day at a time.

4 comments:

elise and jeff said...

Hello, that sounds totally yummo!!! I just love our park, it is a REALLY nice break from being indoors all day!
About relaxing...I am most relaxed when I am outside, taking a walk or just being on the grass reading or basking in the sun, maybe you could go for a walk with brad after dinner or something :) Good luck relaxing!!!!

Amy said...

Shanna hey! I added you to my blog! I am so excited that you have a blog, I will definitely be checking it regularly. Thanks again for coming to the shower! It was great to see you there!

Anonymous said...

Shan! I love just getting out and going for walks too. Thanks for sharing the recipe. Now, I'm craving chicken and rice all of the sudden! Well, I love you tons! When are we going to see you two love birds!?
Jules

Shanna and Brad said...

Jules...We probably won't be back to I.F. until Thanksgiving. Mom and dad are coming here for conference weekend which should be a lot of fun. But it's really hard to break away during the semester. We need to find an excuse for you to come down to Utah. You've got to see our cute little apartment. Love you and miss you!