Wednesday, August 11, 2010

The Arrival of Landon Bradley Roper


We are pleased to announce the birth of our son

Landon Bradley Roper

Born on Friday, July 30th, 2010
@ 5:25 am
Weight: 8 lbs
Height: 21 inches

He is the sweetest little boy and he has already brought so much joy into our lives.

Just after birth

After the doctor confirmed that my water was leaking and that I had excessive amniotic fluid.

Shortly after being induced on Wednesday, the 28th, around noon. Still smiling:) Don't worry, I did shed a few tears during my 42 hours of labor. Before I was induced I wasn't dilated or effaced at all, so we knew it would be a long labor. When it finally came time to start pushing after midnight Friday morning, I was really excited. Until my epidural ran out and I had to push for a few hours without it. The nurse had suggested not refilling it because she didn't think it would take that long to push Landon out since his head was so far down (it didn't end up being fast because he was face up). At least I got to have an epidural for about 6 hours of my labor to give me a rest. Plus I got to see what labor is like with or without an epidural. Of course without hurt worse, but I kind of liked being able to try different positions for pushing since my legs weren't numb. (I say that now, but I probably thought differently at the time when the nurse told me it was too late because my epidural had gotten tangled so she took it off). Well it turned out that Landon was face up and not budging. After having me try every position the nurses could think of for pushing, and the doctor trying a couple of different vacuums, and me pushing for over 4 hours, the doctor decided it was time to do a c-section. Of course right after he decided that I began having the most intense contractions of my whole labor and I was just screaming in excruciating pain. I was so so so relieved to get the spinal whatever they give to you for a c-section. When Landon was finally delivered Friday morning at 5:25, and I heard his sweet little cry, I just started bawling with relief that he was okay and that he was finally here. This was definitely the hardest thing I've ever done in my life, but also the most worthwhile. We feel so blessed that he is healthy and well and so so sweet!

Brad all ready for the c-section. He was so great all through the labor. He encouraged me the whole time and hardly ever left my side. I'm sure it was the most intense thing he's ever been through as well. Thanks for your help honey!

The proud and exhausted daddy holding our sweet little Landon shortly after birth

Resting up in the hospital

Chillin' with Daddy.
Brad's been super busy with the opening of the Jamba Juice store last Saturday. So far the store has been doing really well and Brad has enjoyed this new experience. But we haven't seen much of him. We're glad that the store is busy though!
Sweet face
Mad face!

Just hanging out

Bath time! He cries a little during the bath, but he is super relaxed when it's over.

We didn't have internet at our house until Landon was a week old and since then I've just been trying to find a chance to sit down and post. This little guy has been keeping me busy! Plus I've been taking care of some loose ends from moving and what not. But I've finally found the time and hopefully I'll be able to post more frequently once we get on an even keel. My sweet mom has been here helping me so I could have some time to rest and recover as well. She's been such good help! She was also great help during the labor. I've really needed her since Brad's been so busy with the store. She's leaving tomorrow morning and I hope I can keep up with things on my own. One day at a time, right!

Landon had his 10 day checkup on Monday and his jaundice was pretty much gone. He weighed 8 lbs. 10 oz. so he's already surpassed his birth weight. I'm glad he's getting enough to eat! We love Landon and we are so grateful to have this precious little boy in our home.

16 comments:

Colleen said...

I feel fortuate to be here with Shanna and Landon. This first week is so special. He is beautiful (handsome)!!! What a little angel boy. Shanna is such a sweet Mommy.
Thanks for letting me be part of this wonderful time (I promise it gets easier.)

Erin said...

Wow! You did awesome Shanna! I can't imagine how hard that probably was for you! Landon is adorable though.
The first little while is tough but just hang in there...it is all worth it!

Betsy said...

Congratulations, Shanna! He's so cute! I can't believe all you had to go through to get him here, well done wonder woman! I'm glad he's healthy and well and I hope you're recovering well and things go well on your own. Hopefully I can talk to you on the phone soon. I know what you mean about keeping you busy, who knew?? Lots of love from Utah!

Natalie said...

Yay! So happy to see so many new pictures of the little man! We are so happy to welcome a new cousin into the family! Smooch him once or twice for us! Shanna, you will do just great! It does get easier! Just enjoy the loves while he's little they get big way too fast!!! Thanks for the phone call. We were sad we missed you. we will have to chat soon for sure!

The Cook Clan said...

Wow, that sounds like quite the labor story. Sorry things didn't go as well as planned, but glad to hear everyone is healthy and doing well!

heather said...

Shanna, you are amazing! Congratulations!! He is adorable. I've been checking your blog every day. :) Glad to hear baby is healthy and hope you are all doing well!

Melonius said...

42 hours?!?! you deserve a medal! so glad that's over with and you can get on to the good stuff. In one picture he looks totally like Brad and in another he looks just like you. It's so cool how that happens.

Genessa said...

He is adorable! Glad to see that he made it here safely. Congrats on being new parents.

R and A Lambert said...

Congratulations, Shanna and Brad! He is a cuttie. And don't worry, the business doesn't die down. ;) Hope your recovery is quick and as painless as possible.

Anonymous said...

AHHH! I wish I could have come up to see him! What a sweetheart! Hang in there, you'll to great on your own!

Michelle said...

Yay! Congratulations! Landon is soooo adorable!

Jules said...

That was such a perfect post Shanna! Well said!!!! Those pictures make me miss Landon, he is so cute! I mean, such a super stud!!! Hopefully we see you soon!! Love ya! Jules

The Price Family said...

What a handsome little guy! I hope you are recovering quickly and getting some rest. It can be hard after having a baby but they are so worth every minute. I love his name!!
Congrats.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Shanna and Brad. You're a tough mom! We're very excited for you guys! Landon is so cute!! I love the pictures:)

Kim said...

How cute is he!! I was getting updates on you thru your labor from my mom and I just couldnt believe that you were in labor for sooooooo long i was just thinking poor Shanna!!! I'm glad he is here and that you are doing well!!! He is super adorable, your mom told my mom that he looked like one of my boys and I would have to say i agree, he does have some big shoulders and a cute little face !!! Enjoy!!

The Phillips said...

Congrates on the new member of the family!!! I understand the whole c-section thing. It's scarey, but it's worth the it when the baby is out and safe!
--sharifa