
I've been running more lately because I'm training for a couple of 10k's (6.2 mile runs) this summer. I even talked Brad into running the second one with me (this is a big deal because he's not really into working out...thanks for running honey!). The races are coming right up...the first one I'm running is the Bridal Veil Falls 10k on May 30th and the one we are running together (and with my lovely sister Julie) is the Scenic River Classic 10k in Idaho Falls on June 20th. I'm a little nervous because I haven't raced a whole lot and these will be my first 10k races. I keep reminding myself that all I have to do is finish the first one and then I can try to improve my speed on the second one. No comparing allowed, except for with myself. I've found that having these races planned has helped increase my motivation to workout consistently and to kick up the intensity a couple of notches. I feel like training for and completing these races really will be an accomplishment for me because 1)racing is new for me and 2)I have couple of stumbling blocks I have to deal with. I have exercise induced asthma as well as flat feet with overpronation (ankles roll in.) So I get kind of scared to run fast because, well, I hate not being able to breathe. But my inhaler seems to help some. As for the feet/knees, they've been doing all right as long as I don't overdo it. I find that running every other day works the best for me and doing cross-training activities (yoga, strength training, elliptical) on the other days works well and keeps my knees and feet happy.

So the other day I decided that I needed running shoes because I thought my shoes were cross trainers. I talked to Brad and he gave me the go ahead (along with a price limit :). As I searched the internet for running shoes, I kept spotting the shoes I already have. I did a search for the best running shoes for flat feet and it turns out that the Brooks Ariel (the shoes I have) are great for people with flat feet and overpronation. They are running shoes, but they look different because they have extra structural support. They are a little heavier and bulkier than regular running shoes, but I can deal with that if they are helping my feet. No complaints about them, I just didn't think they were running shoes. So basically, I've realized that just what I needed all along was right under my nose, literally. And I really haven't had much foot pain since wearing them (just a little knee pain), so I figure, if it's not broken, why fix it? Plus my orthotics fit great in them. So I'll continue wearing them for training. That means I can use that money for something else...hmmm it's about time for a new swimsuit:) (I've worn the same one for about 4-5 years).
(the shoe I already have)
I've mostly been training on the treadmill's at Gold's Gym, but I've been starting to run outside a little. Yesterday morning I ran with a few girls in my ward that are training for the Wasatch Relay. We did a hill run. It was intense and they probably thought I was going to passout from breathing so hard, but don't worry, I didn't. So I'm going to run with them as much as I can because I feel like it pushes me to run faster than I do on my own. But they run at a reasonable pace that I feel like I can handle. Anyway, I'm slowly being converted to outdoor group running. The time goes by way faster when you have someone to chat with.
Sorry I don't have any pictures to post. We'll take some pictures of our races. If any of you have any training or racing advice, I'd love to hear it. Gotta run!

7 comments:
Shan,
You are amazing. You and Julie and Brian keep in such good shape. I'll walk the 5k. Or better yet I'll watch the girls while you and Jules and Brad run. (Sorry Ry, I'm taking away your excuse for not running!j/k) Running in Provo Canyon sounds great. I wish you and Jules could train together. She would love someone to run with too. I'm glad those shoes are doing great for you. Go Foot Solutions! We are looking forward to June 19-20. Keep up the good work. Remember you can roll your arches on ice filled water bottles to make sure they don't get inflamed. Love you!!!
One thing that I would do if my arches or shins would start to hurt is to roll a can (like canned beans or corn) back and forth under my foot for a few minutes. It feels really good! Make sure to do a good warm up/cool down and to stretch. I would find that if I took a shot of my inhaler right before I started running (after the warm up) that would help the best. I'd always carry the inhaler w/ me just in case though.
I'm very excited for you! I'm looking forward to when I can finally put my running shoes back on. Although, I will probably only get .01 miles before I'm ready to collapse! I haven't run since September--then I found out why that last race was so hard for me after taking a pregnancy test. =) Good luck!!
Run Shanna Run!
It is so fun that we are all running this summer. You are gonna rock those 10 ks!
Glad too see you so motivated! I have loved having our treadmill. I always feel so much better after working out. I've never really had a desire to run a race. I think it takes me back to my track days, but I admire you for it! HUGS!
I love running in the canyon. We did the Provo River half marathon {back when they used to have it} Just watch out for shin splints if its going downhill. Which, hopefully it is-that would stink to run it all uphill! And running inside is so boring compared to outside.
You're awesome! I'm excited to hear how your first race goes.
Shanna- Hey I have been checking out your blog for awhile now I just never think of adding people- whoops! Wow the running thing impresses me a lot! I try and run two miles a day but that's all I have in me!
Post a Comment